Friday, January 2, 2009

Week 5


I guess I am about almost half way done. I believe I have competed about 11 things. As I was doing these things I was thinking about how I resent doing them. Why? Well in the 1980's and into the 90's I spent quite a bit of time learning dos commands, batch files, autoexec.bat files and stuff like that. The with Mac and Windows these all became useless knowledge. At any rate, I then began thinking about a book that really had a profound impact upon me: The High Tech Heretic by Clifford Stoll. In this book he proposes that computers should not be in schools until high school and I agree. Here is a great lecture of his on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj8IA6xOpSk Think about it! Think of all the money, and time, especially time, that has been wasted on computers, software, training and other peripheral activities and what could have been done with that money. More books, teachers smaller class size and on and on. And what are kids doing? Things like Face book and that FD Toy program I just tried to make silly magazine covers. At my school in New Orleans we had, due to grants and the horrible test scores of the school, more than one computer per student. And what did the kids do on them when they had a chance? The most popular site for the middle school girls at my school was to go on the Orleans Parish Jail site and see the boys/men they knew who were in jail....go figure. I think the time and resources invested in computers could be used more efficiently in other activities. Any way, I visited the "I'mCooked" web site and found it interesting. Food is a special interest of mine and I am the Convivium Leader of Slow Food Sacramento here is our web site:http://www.slowfoodsacramento.com/ At any rate, we are having a gumbo party for New Years and I looked at two videos of people making gumbo. One was a funny woman from Baton Rouge and guy from who knows were. Well, thats about it. It's 1:48 on the first day of the new year and I need to get up early to prepare the Cajun Trinity, crack the crabs, peel the shrimp and slice the andoulle. My wife will make the roux. She does in much better than me. Oh, I almost forgot. I started a Ning accout also. It is: http://byebyebushbaby.ning.com/ So, eleven things down, 12 to go?

1 comment: