Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Thing # 14

1. I searched in the three ways specified. The first yield only two results. The second, tags, got one entire page of results and the search of blogs from list yielded two pages of results. So, to answer the last question. Yes the results were different, but I am unclear on why.

2. I explored the tags, blogs and searched and and a little concerned about, in the time of war and the beginning of a depression that people are concerned about cheat codes and celebreties. But that 's life. I was encourged that the Huffington post was one of the most popular blogs. Although I am not sure I understand what they mean by "authority" Do they mean it in the same way as librarians us it?

3. I discovered two things: a. The most popular site in the world is one I have never heard of. b. Some people are very interested in people I have never heard of. Jennifer Garner?

Tags
Tags can be very helpful in getting blogs exposed to others. A well tagged blog will allow it to shoe up on searches. On the other side of the coin however, this same ability will allow people to tag blogs with words that have nothing to do with the subject at hand and us them for nefarious purposes as well.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it amazing what is popular?
    What do you think about tagging in conjunction with cataloging? Would it be helpful to allow students to tag our holdings? What would a 2.0 library catalog look like? How soon will we be there?

    ReplyDelete